Ramsgate Festival of Sound 2021- Sonic Trail Open Call
Established in 2018, the Sonic Trail has fast become one of the most anticipated features of the Festival of Sound. Continuing its success, we’re on the hunt for exciting new submissions of site-specific sound Installations for this year’s event.
Ramsgate Festival of Sound will take place 27th August – 5th September, and the theme for 2021 is ‘Stories From The Sea’. The selected submissions for the Sonic Trail will be displayed at suitable locations throughout Ramsgate between 2nd – 5th September, 12pm – 5pm daily.
This opportunity is open to all artists at any level of their career, and a commission of £1000 will be granted to each of the seven artists selected by our panel. We welcome proposals from those who wish to develop an existing piece of work, as well as proposals for new sound installations.
We’re really looking forward to welcoming artists and visitors alike to another hugely enjoyable and progressive festival. Watch our highlights from 2020 and be inspired!
The deadline is 5pm on the 20th May 2021
This year Ramsgate Harbour will celebrate its 200th anniversary of being granted Royal status. We’re looking for works that explore themes including (but not limited to) voyages, history, literature evolution, nature/landscape, or community and diversity. The Festival of Sound invites audiences to explore everything that Ramsgate has to offer, from its rich history, coastal location, local residents, booming artistic and cultural life, and its place in contemporary Britain.
Some important points to keep in mind….
● What is the scale of your project?
● Location – how will you make the most of Ramsgate’s unique landscapes? Please state if you have a specific venue/space in mind for your work.
● The festival team will work with each artist to secure the most appropriate space to display your work. NB we cannot guarantee that permissions will be given to use requested spaces.
● Each artist will be required to provide and be responsible for all necessary equipment e.g laptops,speakers, leads
● Accessibility – are there any limitations to accessing your work?
● Audience – who is your work for? – how does your work involve others? how will people engage?
● The festival will provide evaluation forms in compliance with our Arts Council grant conditions.
How to Apply
Applying: Send us an email marked “Sonic Trail Open Call” to email@example.com with ALL of the following information (ideally in a single document file).
Closing date 5pm, 20th May 2021. All applicants will be notified shortly after.
● Phone Number
● Artist/Organisation Name
● Biography (max. 150 words about the artist)
● Examples of previous works (please provide links or images)
● Title of work
● Proposal (max. 200 words about what you will do)
● Technical requirements (max. 150 words)
● Type of space or location of work / event (if known). e.g If on public land, indoors, etc.
● Target audience (if known)
● Anticipated size of audience
The Sonic Trail runs daily between 12pm-5pm from the 2nd to the 5th of September. Ideally we would also like all works to be presented at private viewings on the evening of September 1st.
NB – Final decisions are dependent on confirmation of funding from Arts Council England and other funders. Artists must be available to supervise their work, if required, between 12pm and 5pm each day. The festival will endeavour to provide volunteer support where possible to cover breaks etc.
For any further enquiries please email Socials@ramsgatefestival.org
For further information on this year’s festival visit www.ramsgatefestival.org
The Festival will be fully Covid- secure.
The organisers reserve the right to postpone the event should any Government restrictions deem it necessary to do so.